Sunday, November 06, 2005

Lotus


What do I know about lotus?
There was a small village called Fish Pond (Hoo Tee) adjacent to the town where I grew up. It was so called because there WAS a fish pond there. I used to cycle over there with a couple of friends to watch and admire the local kids playing in the pond. I never saw any fish in the pond, but the entire pond was covered with lotus. While feeling the fun and joy the kids had, I just couldn't quite bring myself to jump into it - The water was literally black in colour. It was only waist deep, but by all accounts, the bottom was sticky and full of mud, rotting vegetation and manures of all kind.
Then in Form One in high school when I had my first exposure to the Classical Chinese, one of the chapters in the Chinese text book that we studied went something like this: "Lotus rises above the mud and yet stays uncontaminated..." I can't remember the rest of the chapter, nor who the author was, but that line stuck in my mind for the rest of my life. It wasn't until now that I truly appreciate what that line really means to me in the context of my journey.
Human body has a dense mass, and, according to Dr Michael Newton's research, it would take a lot of efforts for a reincarnating soul to adapt to the body of a human. In doing so, the soul loses its lightness and freedom and remains trapped in the body for the duration of a lifetime. It has to endure the body changes as we go through life, and live with whatever abuses we heap onto ourselves. Worst, in letting our body take charge of our consciousness, instead of the other way round, we are risking the contamination of our soul. It's very easy for our body to seek comfort and pleasures through our senses that we forget what our purpose in this lifetime is. Lotus absorbs nutrients from its harsh environment and rises towards the light above the murky water to bloom. In this sense, we must absorb our lessons from the harsh environment that we are in and rise above it without getting contaminated.
Interestingly, Newton points out in his study that all souls had indicated to him that Earth ranks as one of the harshest places ever for reincarnation. By the end of our journey here, the energy of our soul would be quite depleted. But take heart, as we go through the tunnel, there is light at the end of the tunnel, literally. We will be pleased to know that the lessons in this lifetime have been well and truly learnt, and the mission accomplished.

2 Comments:

Blogger Glass Slippers said...

What if lesson/s is/are not learnt and mission/s left unaccomplished? What happens next? Does one then 'pass the test'?

11/08/2005 6:04 PM  
Blogger Glass Slippers said...

Oh yes I also love the water lilies, especially those paintings done by Monet (except the last series when he went a bit unstable).

11/08/2005 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home